Job title: GP Fellowship
Accountable to: One Health Lewisham Ltd
Reports to: Medical Director
Hours: 2 – 8 clinical sessions | 1-2 portfolio leadership session
Salary: £9,500-10,000 per session (including pension) depending on experience
In order to apply please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Friday 21st June 2019, by 17:00
For informal discussions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Interview dates: Friday 12th July 2019
One Health Lewisham (OHL) is a GP Federation established in 2017 that has grown out of four neighbourhood GP federations in the North, Centre, South East and South West of the South London Borough of Lewisham. OHL works to develop pan Lewisham ways of working, reduce variation, improve quality and support GP Practices. Services provided by OHL include a care home service, a community diabetes service, population health scheme, a GP extended access service, and IT and innovation development of a triage app.
One Health Lewisham is a federation of 38 GP practices, stretching from Blackheath to Bellingham, serving a population of 310,000 people. Lewisham’s population is relatively young, with one in four residents aged under 19 years. The population aged 60 years and over represents one in eight people in the borough. This contrasts with England as a whole, where one in four-five people is over 60. Lewisham is the 31st most deprived Local Authority area in England. Relative to the rest of the country Lewisham’s deprivation is increasing.
To find out more about OHL go to https://onehealthlewisham.co.uk
Background to the role
The NHS Five Year Forward View gave a target of 250 GP Fellowships by 2020. One Health Lewisham (OHL) have secured funding from South East London Sustainability & Transformation Plan (SEL STP) to support our local workforce initiatives to promote new ways of working and aid GP and workforce retention in primary care in Lewisham. Our aim is to recruit six GP fellowships across the borough and with this in mind, we have worked with local practices to design an employment package to attract GPs with a range of needs for flexible working (portfolio GPs, newly qualified GPs or first fives, parents, later career GPs) with protected time for a practitioner support group and CPD. The roles will provide flexible, clinical working across practices, the OHL GP Extended Access Service and local leadership and teaching roles.
Fellowships are based on a model where primary employment is within a general practice setting (OHL will hold your contract of employment), with additional sessions where the GP will provide service delivery in the community/NHS Trust setting, plus time for personal and professional development.
Employment will initially be on a fixed term basis of one year with the intention of possible future permanent employment by the practices. An employment offer for the Quality Improvement Lead will comprise of:
- 2 x 5-hour GP extended access clinical sessions per week (with a catch up every hour and low admin requirements) – Subject to contract renewal April 2020
- 1 x 4 hour a week Quality Improvement Lead role – leading on population based quality improvement. This role will require some initiative from the candidate’s own interests as well as aligning with Lewisham priorities for quality improvement in primary care.
- 2 x 2 hours a month Practitioner group sessions – supportive peer learning and professional development with other GP fellows and mentorship from within OHL and local Lewisham GPs
- Leadership training one evening a month
We would welcome applicants who are either already employed in a Lewisham practice to apply or new to Lewisham, if interested, in the above portfolio role and package of support. If new to working in Lewisham we can help support finding a local practice to work in addition to the above.
We are aware that GPs may have concerns about working in isolation, work load and the additional responsibilities independent practitioners often face and may not want to work as a full time clinical GP. The GP fellowship provides opportunities for development of a portfolio career with a support network to develop their leadership and other portfolio skills, whilst having exposure to work in one or more GP practices.
The fellowship will:
- Provide mentorship and support from experienced GPs locally.
- Enable the team to work together to support each other and has fortnightly development meetings that the Fellow will attend.
- Provide variety and a more flexible working week
- Provide CPD sessions which are responsive to local needs and requirements in order to keep the sessions fresh, challenging and interesting and liaising with local hospital and VTS
This post provides the elements of a portfolio career that will enable the successful applicant to embed the learning from their training and gain the support outlined. They will be able to develop additional skills, for example in project management, change management and leadership skills development.
For full details of job description please click here