The GP Retainer Scheme
What is it?
- Flexible scheme – 1-4 sessions per week for GPs looking to leave profession as they have no option but to reduce their working hours.
Who is it for?
- Those looking to reduce their working hours due to parental/caring responsibilities or later in their career and looking to reduce hours
Benefits for practices
- Financial support (currently , practices can claim payment of £76.92 for each session GP works), GP retention, GPs who may have additional clinical skills to contribute towards practice services / income
Benefits for GPs
- Flexible working, financial support in recognition of the fact that this role is different to a ‘regular’ salaried GP post, job plan, development days and CPD time.
- Nominated educational supervisor in your practice
Employment contract details
- Employment rights – classed as salaried employee of the practice (see BMA model contract link for full details)
- Session length – 4 hours 10 mins, CPD/Study leave – 8 sessions p.a., annual leave – 6 weeks p.a.
- Supervision – 2 hours per month with practice educational supervisor
For any questions or comments please contact:
To discuss eligibility and application process contact Associate Dean/Education Lead Professional Development @ HEE