OHL’s Social Prescribing service enables Lewisham residents over the age of 18 to improve their well-being and quality of life in a holistic way. Our team of Social Prescribers work alongside Lewisham GPs to help residents find community opportunities and services. Social Prescribing is part of the NHS Long Term Plan initiative and is aimed at reducing attendances at GP surgeries.
Social prescribing is helpful to many patients, for example, those:
· who need support with mental health issues
· with long-term conditions
· who are isolated or feeling lonely
· who have complex social needs affecting their wellbeing.
Our support can include:
· Helping patients to make appointments for housing, benefits and financial advice, as well as support with attending any appointments
· Advising on healthy lifestyles, physical activity plans, support with getting a BeActive pass (if eligible), using the gym/leisure facilities and attending a local Lewisham Healthy Walk
· Help with joining and attending creative and social activities and clubs
· Referrals for befriending, counselling and emotional/peer support groups
· Help with finding employment, training and volunteering opportunities
· Help with completing Blue Badge/Taxicard/Dial-a-Ride applications
· Emotional support through a weekly visit, chat and cup of tea
We can provide up to 12 weeks of support and offer home visits.
The OHL Social Prescribing Team
Dave Barnard is helping get the service up and running, having led similar partnership delivery services in Tower Hamlets and mental health outreach services in Southwark.
Sophie Thomas is the Lead Link Worker, bringing her local knowledge from her time with the Lewisham Red Cross Connected Communities project.
Working closely with Age UK Community Connections and other local community groups establishing referral pathways and partnership working.
Dr Seema Pattni, GP Fellow for Community Development and Social Prescribing is supporting the development of this service. firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish for more information on this service, please contact Dr Prad Velayuthun email@example.com
The current Link Worker team are:
· North Lewisham – Shane Quinnel firstname.lastname@example.org
· Lewisham Alliance – Natasha Rayasam Natasha.email@example.com
· Lewisham Care Partnership – Sophie Thomas (Lead SP Link Worker) firstname.lastname@example.org
· Aplos – Debbie-Ann Ofosuware email@example.com
· Sevenfields – Dave & team cross-covering till further notice firstname.lastname@example.org
· Modality – when self-referrals are live, Modality’s referrals will be received centrally and redirected to the local Modality Link Worker
*Please note that we not an emergency service and cannot provide emergency support. We cannot complete benefit application forms but will refer to a third party for this, i.e. Advice Lewisham
Please contact 0203 640 2113 for more information or email email@example.com
For a more comprehensive review on Social Prescribing, please refer to the following information provided by the Kings Fund: