SHIP – Sexual Health in Practice training sessions
“Wish I attended many years ago!”
“Really engaging trainer.”
“Good slides. Good handout leaflets. Good level of interaction.”
” …tailored to our needs as GPs”
Just some of the feedback from the recent Lewisham SHIP courses.
Courses in which 100% of attendees (*June 2019 course) said the sessions increased their knowledge & understanding in:
- Undertaking sexual health risk assessment
- Diagnosing STIs in general practice
- Formulating clinical management plans for STIs
and 100% of attendees (*June & July 2019) said they would ‘recommend this SHIP course to a colleague‘
These courses are running for last time in Lewisham for the foreseeable future so this may be you last chance to participate!
Even though the courses aren’t for over a month, places are filling fast with under half left,
So book now to avoid disappointment!
Sexual Health in Practice (SHIP) training is interactive, practical & peer-led training in sexual health, appropriate for all GPs, not just for those with a particular interest.
- Do you want to learn quick simple strategies to assess your patients’ sexual health risk?
- Find out why the use of speculae is plummeting!
- Are you all too aware of the reasons NOT to offer an HIV test?
- Do you worry about how to bring up the topic out of the blue?
SHIP training has been shown to change clinical practice and improve sexual health outcomes for patients. The sessions were designed and are taught by GPs, who understand the complexities, challenges and pragmatic approach of general practice. The content is based on the latest available evidence, and is tailored for the GP setting.
We will help you become confident in sexual health risk assessment and make meaningful changes to your clinical practice!
There are 2 sessions for GPs, you will need to have attended session 1 prior to attending session 2.
Session 1: Key issues in sexual health for GPs – Friday 22nd November 1pm to 5.30pm (1pm lunch start at 1.30pm)
- Update on STIs and testing in primary care, including which swabs to use and when
- When to and how to bring up sexual health in GP consultations
- Rapid sexual health risk assessment tailored for the GP consultation
- Management of STIs in the GP setting, including partner notification guidance
- Resources to take back to your surgery
Session 2: HIV and viral hepatitis update – Friday 6th December 1pm to 5.30pm (1pm lunch start at 1.30pm)
- Up-to-date evidence of national and local trends
- Evidence of the advantages of diagnosing HIV & viral hepatitis in the GP setting
- Support for ‘normalising’ HIV testing and viral hepatitis in primary care
(you need to have done Session 1 to book for Session 2)